...

...

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

L2 Thème

REVISION / USED TO AND BE USED TO

USED TO DO

The grammatical structure “used to do” is used to talk about past, finished habits
We have a special expression to talk about habits we we have stopped.

I used to smoke too much.
My hobby used to be horse-riding.
When I was younger I used to love playing football.
There used to be a first and a second class on the metro.
French people used to smoke more than they do now.

Notice that this form means that the activity is now definitively finished.

BE USED TO (DOING)

This is a completely different structure which we normally use to express the idea that something is not difficult for us.

I’m used to strong cigarettes.

She’s used to hard work.

Notice in these sentences “Be used to” is followed by a noun. It can also be followed by a form in -ING

I’m used to getting up early.

I’m used to walking for hours.
She’s used to driving at night.

IMPORTANT : this does NOT simply mean that it is something which happens often; it means that it happens often AND THEREFORE IS NOT DIFFICULT FOR ME;

If you want to say in English “J’ai l’habitude de travailler à la maison”, you do NOT need USED TO OR BE USED TO.

Use something else like

“I usually work at home.”

“English people usually drink a lot of tea.”

“My friends usually call me Dédé.”



You can find some exercises, which will only take a few minutes, on

http://www.smic.be/smic5022/used%20to.htm

No comments: